Beware Smugglers!

Beware Smugglers!

This advert appears in Keble’s Gazette in 1885 and is the first mention of smugglers being associated with the Caves. It is a romantic notion that will persist for another century.

This isn’t just a time of change for the Caves though. In 1828 Holy Trinity Church is built, and in 1893 the decision is made to convert part of Northumberland House into the vicarage.