Volunteer at the Margate Caves
Help up us keep the Caves thriving. Join our friendly team, learn new skills or put yours to good use.
There are a variety of opportunities that can fit every timescale and skill set. We provide training where needed and all volunteers receive an induction.
We are looking for volunteers interested in undertaking a variety of roles including: admitting visitors in the Centre; guiding visitors through the Caves; working in the shop; assisting in the busy Café; administration for the community rooms; gardening and maintenance; or maybe you have other skills you can offer!
There are short summaries of our roles below – for more information or to express your interest email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
In return we can offer you training, the opportunity to develop your skills and gain experience volunteering at a heritage site, a chance to meet new people and to be part of an exciting and interesting project that benefits our local community.
We are a small friendly team and if you feel you can help us do a good job we would love to hear from you.
- Provide welcoming and friendly service.
- No prior experience needed, just an enthusiasm for the role.
Visitor welcome volunteer
- Be warm and welcoming.
- Historical and customer service training will be provided.
External maintenance volunteer
- Maintenance of fences and paths.
- Love and attention for our flower beds.
- Support children with craft activities.
- Training will be provided – gain experience and have fun at the same time.
- Help run workshops for schools at the Caves.
- Workshops will generally run in school hours, term time, Monday to Friday.
- Share the history of the Caves with the public
- Warm and friendly demeanor needed, historical training provided.
Volunteers are invaluable to the work we do – the Caves wouldn’t have been saved without the tireless efforts of volunteers. We are a small team and volunteers will be core to what we do. No qualifications are required for any of our roles; all we ask is for enthusiasm and a willingness to commit your time and develop new skills.
Time commitment will be matched as far as possible to what would suit you and fits in with the opening hours of the Centre and other volunteers.
We are looking for volunteers with the following skills to fit with our charitable ethos and our team:
· Outgoing and friendly;
· Patient and understanding with customers;
· To be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds;
· Team player;
· A self-starter able to work on your own initiative;
· Computer literate an advantage (but not essential);
· Willing to ask for help when needed;
· Good timekeeping and a strong commitment to honouring agreed volunteer time slots.
Training and Support
· Induction to Margate Caves;
· Training for the role;
· Volunteer handbook;
· Regular updates on the charity’s activities;
· Support, advice and guidance from the Staff;
· Public Liability cover.
Benefits to Volunteering
· The opportunity to develop new and existing skills and gain experience volunteering at a heritage site;
· A chance to meet new people;
· The satisfaction of knowing you are making an important contribution to the work of the Margate Caves Trust.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Dependent on the needs of volunteers and the seasonal nature of the work.
All new posts are subject to a trial period. New volunteers will meet regularly with their manager to discuss any issues they may have and assess progress and performance.
Training needs are assessed continuously and appropriate on-the-job training is provided.
TMCCET are not able to offer volunteers parking on site.
The TMCCET recognises that discrimination and victimisation is unacceptable and that it is in the interests of the organisation and its employees and volunteers to utilise the skills of the total workforce. It is the aim of the organisation to ensure that no employee, volunteer or job applicant receives less favourable facilities or treatment (either directly or indirectly) in recruitment or employment on grounds of age, disability, gender / gender reassignment, marriage / civil partnership, pregnancy / maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.