External maintenance volunteer
Purpose of the role
The main purpose of this important volunteer role is to assist our Centre Manager in keeping the outdoor space at the Caves in good order.
Tasks will include:
- Maintaining the garden beds by pruning, weeding and thinning;
- If possible, general maintenance of fences and drains;
- Keeping the paving and pathways weed-free.
Time commitment will be matched as far as possible to what would suit you and fits in with the opening hours of the Centre and other volunteers.
We are looking for volunteers with the following skills to fit with our charitable ethos and our team:
- Outgoing and friendly;
- Patient and understanding with customers;
- To be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds;
- Team player;
- A self-starter able to work on your own initiative;
- Willing to ask for help when needed;
- Good timekeeping and a strong commitment to honouring agreed volunteer time slots.
Training and Support
- Induction to Margate Caves;
- Training for the role, plus other training may be available to skills build;
- Volunteer handbook;
- Regular updates on the charity’s activities;
- Support, advice and guidance from the Margate Caves Team;
- Public Liability cover.
Benefits to Volunteering
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills and gain experience volunteering at a heritage site;
- A chance to meet new people;
- A chance to be part of an exciting and interesting project;
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making an important contribution to the work of the Margate Caves Trust;
- Celebration events;
- References on request;
- Discount in the shop;
- Travel expenses.