Purpose of the role
The main purpose of this important volunteer role is to assist our Learning and Engagement Manager to run workshops for schools at the Caves. Workshops will generally run in school hours, term time, Monday to Friday.
Tasks will include:
- Helping to facilitate, set up, and pack away learning sessions at the Caves;
- Creating a friendly and supportive environment to help children and young people learn;
- Assisting with the delivery of learning sessions;
- Attending training sessions;
- Maintaining a high standard of customer service;
- Moving around the Caves and community rooms with learning groups.
Time commitment will be matched as far as possible to what would suit you and fits in with the opening hours of the Centre and other volunteers. Due to the nature of this role you will predominantly be needed in term time during the school day.
We are looking for volunteers with the following skills to fit with our charitable ethos and our team;
- Outgoing and friendly;
- Patient and understanding with customers;
- To be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds;
- Team player;
- A self-starter able to work on your own initiative;
- Computer literate an advantage (but not essential);
- Willing to ask for help when needed;
- Good timekeeping and a strong commitment to honouring agreed volunteer time slots.
Training and Support
- Induction to Margate Caves;
- Training for the role, plus other training may be available to skills build;
- Volunteer handbook;
- Regular updates on the charity’s activities;
- Support, advice and guidance from the Margate Caves Team;
- Public Liability cover.
Benefits to Volunteering
- Gain an understanding of running learning sessions for different audiences, from early years to post-16 groups;
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills and gain experience volunteering at a heritage site;
- A chance to meet new people;
- Being part of an exciting and interesting project;
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making an important contribution to the work of the Margate Caves Trust;
- Celebration events;
- References on request;
- Discount in the shop;
- Travel expenses.