How do you plan to make me safe?
We will be keeping up to date with the latest government advice and rules on social distancing and are committed to following these correctly. We have identified and are implementing the following measures to ensure the safety of our staff and visitors:
- We have introduced timed ticketing in order spread visits evenly throughout the day (rather than having surges during peak times) and to reduce the overall numbers of visitors in the Caves at any time. Visitors can therefore be assured of a calm visiting experience.
- We will be opening/closing doors at the beginning/end of the day to reduce the need to touch things.
- A one way system will be in place and we ask that you adhere to this at all times unless instructed otherwise by a member of the team.
- Changes to our ticketing are designed to help protect our visitors, volunteers and staff and include cashless transactions.
- We will be providing distancing markers, should there be any queue at the entrance.
- We will not be running any of our usual craft activities during this time, or having our Caver’s kits available. Maps and activity sheets will be available to download in advance, as well as our large print guide for the Discovery Room.
- Our toilets are open and cleaned regularly.
- We are keeping it simple whilst we all adjust to this new way of living and hope that you will support us in our efforts to keep Margate Caves open to our community and visitors. We ask that you come and tell us if you have any concerns or suggestions.
We reserve the right to ask visitors to leave Margate Caves or to not permit re-visits this season if we judge that they are not demonstrating appropriate behaviour. Please be considerate and helpful and keep everyone safe!
Do I need to pre-book a ticket?
To comply with government guidelines around social distancing it is essential that you book online, this will enable us to manage our numbers and reduces contact between you and our staff as well as other members of the public.
I am bringing a child who is under 4- do I need to get them a ticket?
No, please just get tickets for the rest of your party. We have allocated enough space to allow for under 4s.
Can I still use my membership?
Absolutely, however you will need to pre-book a timed entry space online. Please remember to bring your membership with you to gain entry. You can use the button at the bottom of this page to book a timed entry ticket.
If you purchased a membership before the 19th March 2020 we will extend your membership by 5 months.
Can I cancel my booking?
Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable and we regret that we are unable to cancel or refund bookings. Please check forecasts and diaries carefully before making bookings.
Why do I need to give contact details when I pre-book my tickets?
We have been advised to record contact details (name, email and phone number) so that visitors can be traced in relation to any subsequent Covid-19 outbreaks identified by authorities from the day of your visit. The details entered will be kept for 21 days from your visit to comply with government requests and will only be used for this purpose.
During your visit
What happens when I arrive?
Please have your pre-booking either printed out, or available on your phone to show us. We will check it against our bookings and give you instructions for entering the Caves. We have a hand sanitiser station at the main entrance; we ask that everyone use it before entering.
What safety measures are in place?
All team members will be wearing visors or masks if they are not behind one of our screens, which have been installed on our counter. Social distancing signage is in place in the form of floor signs and posters. We have installed hand sanitisers and we have increased the frequency of cleaning, paying close attention to high-contact areas such as door handles, toilet facilities, handrails and card readers. We want you and our staff to feel safe and be safe.
How will I be able to avoid people in the Caves?
We are putting in markers at the entrance, please adhere to these. We will also be operating a one way at a time system in our tunnel into the Caves- this will be managed by the team. In some areas of the Caves there will only be one family group at a time. Please pay particular attention to signage and instructions from Margate Caves team members to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment of the Caves.
Has your access statement changed?
Yes, our access statement and visual story has changed, to find them click here.
Should I wear a mask & gloves?
With the latest government advice and legislation we do ask that all visitors (except those under 11 or who are exempt) to wear a face covering, the decision to wear gloves is yours.
Will the toilets be open?
Yes, the toilets will be open under a stricter cleaning regime than usual.
Will the café be open?
The Café will be open on the same days as the Caves 10am to 4.30pm, serving take-away items which should either be consumed in the garden or taken away. Our outside space will be set up with distanced furniture for you to enjoy your food and drinks.
The café will be serving a range of lunch and snack items, including cream tea boxes and a ploughman’s lunch offer, as well as Linda’s amazing homemade cakes. For more information on the café offer please click on the link below.
Can I visit the café without a ticket for the Caves?
Yes, our café is open for those who don’t have Cave tickets- we ask that you queue and obey all social distancing and our one way system.
Will the shop be open?
Yes- we do request that you browse without touching.
Can I use Cash at Margate Caves?
You can use cash but we request that where possible you use contactless card payment.